Labels

Monday, May 20, 2013

Mother's Day Reflections


My first Mother's Day was an AMAZING and BLESSED Day!

My Husband followed with the tradition by the Husband's in my family and cooked a lovely breakfast and dinner. I also received lovely flowers and cards from him and Sloane.
Decaf Vanilla Latte

Look at my Baby Sloane's Signature =)

Fresh croissants and fruit...Yummy!

However, the BEST gift was a beautiful photo album that he designed for me with candid pictures of myself and my beautiful baby girl. Needless to say I was overwhelmed with emotions, normal for me when it comes to the two Loves of my life, so the tears were flowing. I will treasure this album forever.

Front of my album

Back of my album

I was also blessed to spend my first Mother's Day with my own Mother. This really allowed me to reflect on the relationship I have with my Mother and the relationship I am building with Sloane.

Flowers & Cards for Mama, Meme, Ms. Faye

I NEVER want my daughter to question if I put my own wants and desires before what is best for her. In other words, be selfish. I knew when my Husband and I decided we wanted to have a child that my needs would come third. Yes, third. I take care of my Husband, my Child and then Me. Some may not agree with this order, but guess what, it isn't your family or life so you don't have to. It is mine. It works for Me. As my Mom so eloquently stated, "My Family" consists of Myself, My Husband and Sloane. "The Family" consist of EVERYONE else. I like that!

It was just last night that I told my Husband I have truly come to peace with realizing that people (grandmothers, siblings, aunts, uncles, friends, etc.) will not agree with us on some of the decisions we are making, and will make in how we want to raise our daughter. I'm over what others think. This is OUR Family and this is what WE want.

Team Sharp = Ashley + Nickole + Sloane.

So this reflection is really a "thank you" to my Maternal Grandmother Margaret and my Mom. I thank my Grandmother for raising my Mom to be an open book and to have real, open, and honest conversations with her teenage and adult daughter, and  most importantly, not care what others may think of this relationship. My Mom NEVER tried to be my friend. She has and will ALWAYS be my Mother. Just because I can talk to my Mom about everything, and always have been able to, the mutual respect was always there. My Mom earned my respect and I earned her respect. That is VERY important for parents and children, and I think it is often taken for granted and assumed.

Mom, thank you for being open and honest with me about being my Mother. Thank you for admitting that you made mistakes in how you raised me, and allowing me to question and ask questions about those decisions. Though tough, I respect you even more each time you allow this growth to take place between us. In doing this, you have provided me with examples of what I want to do as a Mother, and what I do not want to do as a Mother. You called it "Balance", and said it is very important, I agree, and I Love and Thank You for it!

Happy Mother's Day to ALL the brave women who are Mother's!
Happy! Happy! Mother's Day to all the Mother's who realize that when you are honest with your children they will love and respect you just the same...may be even a little more...

Forever I am...Sloane’s Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment